The Diploma in Engineering (Mechanical) will replace the Diploma in Technology (Mechanical). The course can be completed in 2.5 years on a part-time basis.
Under a revised Framework, the new diploma aims to provide greater accessibility for working adults through:
- Reduced course duration
- Modular qualification structure
- Increased mobility between academic and competency-based systems
- Learning platforms that are adult-learner centric
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
Working adults who wish to upgrade themselves, so as to provide more value-addedness to their jobs, hence to raise the productivity of Singapore's workforce.
MINIMUM ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Applicants with the following qualifications are invited to apply for the course:
a. 3 GCE ‘O’ levels in English (Grades 1-7), Mathematics (Grades 1-6) and Science (Grades 1-6 in Physics, Chemistry or Biology component) OR Design & Technology (Grades 1-6) with 3 years of relevant working experience.
b. NTC 2 (COM) or NITEC (GPA 3.5 and above) with 2 years of working experience.
c. ITC or Higher NITEC with 1 year of working experience.
d.Relevant WSQ qualifications (by sector, programme and/ or level), with at least 3 years of relevant working experience. WPLN (Level ≥ 6) may be accepted as equivalent English Language and Mathematics requirements.
Applicants who have taken the relevant qualifications and do not meet the pre-requisite subject grades but are assessed by Ngee Ann Polytechnic as potentially suitable candidates may, at the discretion of the Polytechnic, be considered for entrance tests.
This new CET Diploma comprises five 180-hour Modular Certificates (MCs), with the completion of each resulting in an award of a Certificate. Each Certificate, comprising two to four modules, would focus on a specific area of expertise that will enable the participant to acquire knowledge and the ability to perform a job function better.
The 5 Modular Certificates are:
1) Certificate in Engineering Design (Oct 2011)
- Computer Aided Engineering Drafting
- Computer Aided 3D Design
- Mechanical Design
2) Certificate in Materials & Manufacturing (Apr 2012)
- Engineering Materials
- Manufacturing Processes
- Advanced Manufacturing Systems and Management
3) Certificate in Mechanics (Apr 2012)
- Engineering Mechanics
- Strength of Materials
- Mechanics of Machines
4) Certificate in Automation & Control (Apr 2012)
- Power Hydraulics
- Industrial Automation
- Instrumentation & Control
5) Certificate in Thermofluid Engineering (Apr 2012)
- Fluid Mechanics
- Piping Design
The above modules may subject to changes.
Upon completion of five Certificates within a five-year validity period, the participant will be conferred a Diploma qualification from Ngee Ann Polytechnic.
CET Qualification Award (CQA): All subsidised part-time Singaporean students who graduate from their first full diploma qualification from 1 March 2011 will receive a CQA of S$1,000 upon graduation, as long as it is a higher qualification than other full qualifications that the students had attained previously.
The relevant documents to be submitted to CET Academy include:
1. Photocopies of academic certificates with detail transcripts for English, Mathematics and Science / ES WSQ WPLN qualifications. For notary certified true copies for certificates not in English, a notarial translation is available at respective embassies or the Supreme Court (tel: 63360644). Notarial translation is not required for Malaysian SPM and STPM qualifications.
2. Original company letter stating designation, job description and years of service.
3. Photocopies (both sides) of NRIC for Singaporeans and PRs, and Employment Pass, "S" Pass or Work Permit for foreign applicants. Work Permit must be valid for at least 6 months from the date of commencement of the course, otherwise an original company letter stating that employer will extend the work permit is required.
About the School
The CET Academy is committed to promote lifelong learning and strives to provide a variety of high quality but affordable courses and training programmes that are demanded by our customers for professional upgrading and retraining.
The Academy trains more than 6,000 adults annually and conducts over 200 courses each year, ranging from short courses to formal diploma programmes, targeted at workers from a wide spectrum of industries, including business, finance, manufacturing, IT, life sciences, management and entrepreneurship.