The Master of Arts in Leadership and Educational Change is an innovative programme with a dual focus on organisational and curriculum leadership. The programme aims to prepare educational leaders to go beyond organisational leadership towards embracing leadership capacities in curriculum, teaching and learning. Jointly taught by two internationally-renowned teacher education institutions, the National Institute of Education (NIE), Nanyang Technological University, Singapore and Teachers College (TC), Columbia University, New York, the programme prepares a new generation of educational leaders for Singapore, the Asia-Pacific region and the larger international community.
The programme provides opportunities to build new cross-national learning communities and fraternities steeped in both local and global perspectives.
Graduates of the programme will be equipped to:
- Appreciate the economic, cultural, and organizational contexts and tensions of interpreting and bringing about educational improvement and site-based curriculum development,
- Value critical perspectives, diversity and difference and be open to various theoretical stances and practical approaches in educational leadership,
- Understand the complexities and dynamics of transformational educational change, alongside necessary reforms to curriculum, pedagogy and assessment,
- Assess challenges to educational change and develop strategies to overcome them, and
- Plan, develop and implement educational improvement interventions and curricular innovations through harnessing evidence-based research.
Who should apply?
Those tasked with leadership responsibilities in leading educational change in their respective organizations, not only from Singapore and the Asia-Pacific region, but also those from the U.S and other Western countries who may appreciate the advantage of pursuing a higher degree in an Asian context delivered by two leading educational institutions.
The programme comprises 32 Academic Units, which is inclusive of 6 core courses, 4 prescribed electives and 1 open elective. Courses will be taught by faculty from both institutions, allowing participants to engage in learning from two leading educational institutions.
Students are strongly encouraged to partake in “The Teachers College Summer Experience” hosted by Teachers College during the programme’s intersemester period. During The Experience, students read one of their elective courses in the programme at TC in New York and work with some of the best educators in the world. Participants also visit schools in the New York City school system to gain international perspectives on curriculum and leadership.
The 4 prescribed electives may vary from cohort to cohort depending on the profile and interests of each cohort.Core Courses
Prescribed Electives (Choose any 4 courses)
- MALC 801 Perspectives in Educational Leadership
- MALC 802 Globalization, Educational Change and Pedagogical Reform
- MALC 803 Curriculum Theory, History and Issues
- MALC 804 Curriculum Implementation and School Improvement
- MALC 805 Seminars in Educational Inquiry
- MALC 806 Integrative Study Project
Open Elective Courses (Choose any 1 course)
- MALC 811 Crafting the Curriculum - From Theory to Practice
- MALC 812 Differentiating Curriculum and Teaching for Diverse Learners
- MALC 815 Curriculum and Teaching Policy
- MALC 821 Teacher Knowledge, Learning and Development
- MALC 822 Teaching and Learning in the Multicultural Classroom
- MALC 825 Theories and Perspectives on Learning
- MALC 831 Assessment and Learning
- MALC 832 Programme and Curriculum Evaluation
- MALC 841 School Change
- MALC 851 Organizational Learning and Development
- MALC 852 Theories of Organization
You may select 1 open elective course offered across all NIE Master Degree programmes. The offer of electives is reviewed regularly to reflect developments in education and the respective fields. You are advised to take note of the prerequisites for these courses (if any) before registering.
A good Bachelor's degree or its equivalent according to international standards, with at least 4 years of teaching experience or other relevant educational experience. Preference will be given to applicants with experience in educational leadership.
For international applicants, more information on the entry requirements can be found here. : https://www.nie.edu.sg/higher-degrees/admissions/general-entry-requirement
Duration & Intake
Period of Candidature
The programme may be completed in 1 year on a full-time basis. Classes are conducted at NIE in Singapore.
Fees & Funding
Our tuition fees are subject to revision on a yearly basis. More details can be found here. : https://www.nie.edu.sg/higher-degrees/admissions/fees