The Pearson BTEC HNC Diploma in Computing and Systems Development aims to enhance your career and employability in the areas of Computer Science and IT by developing a critical awareness and appreciation of current IT issues.
The BTEC HNC Diploma is directly awarded by Pearson Education, UK, one of the leading examining and awarding bodies in the United Kingdom.
BTEC HNC qualifications are widely welcomed by the employers, recognized by many international professional bodies and having access to UK and other universities to enter into the second year of an honours degree in Computer Science subject to the respective universities’ discretion.
About Pearson Education (UK)
- Have the ability to progress into suitable employment in the work place.
- Can gain accreditation and valuable continuing professional development when in employment.
- Are able to gain exemptions and progress onto Honours degree programmes in relevant subjects.
- Are able to apply for membership of professional bodies.
- Pearson Education is part of Pearson, the world’s leading learning company. They believe education is for everyone, and they provide the tools for people to learn: whatever their age, wherever they are, in whatever fashion they choose. Pearson qualifications and resources ensure that students develop their skills and knowledge to the full, and are equipped to contribute positively in their chosen learning pathways and careers all over the world.
- Pearson Education is the world’s leading learning company with a portfolio that provides innovative textbooks, assessment and testing, technology solutions and integrated services. Pearson qualification suite includes Edexcel academic, BTEC vocational and LCCI qualifications.
- Every day all over the world Pearson products and services help learning flourish and wherever learning flourishes, so do people.
Course Outline & Programme Structure:
- Candidate who is at least 18 years of age with GCE A-Level or other equivalent qualifications; OR
- Level 3 or equivalent qualifications; OR
- Mature students (at least 21 years of age with GCE N/O-Level or its equivalent qualifications with suitable industrial/commercial experience).
The Pearson BTEC Level 4 HNC Diploma in Computing and Systems Development is a qualification with a minimum of 120 credits which must contain a minimum of 90 credits at level 4 and maximum of 35 credits may be at level 5. The modules, levels and credit values are given below:
1. Business Skills for e-Commerce
||Unit (Module) Title
||Business Skills for e-Commerce
||Employability and Professional Development
||Management of Projects
||Systems Analysis and Design
||Database Design Concepts
||Local Area Networking Technologies
2. Computer Systems
- Understand the structure and aims of business organisations
- Understand the impact of e-Commerce
- Design e-Commerce solutions
3. Employability and Professional Development
- Understand the function of computer systems
- Design computer systems
- Build and configure computer systems
- Undertake routine maintenance on computer systems
4. Management of Projects
- Take responsibility for own personal and professional development
- Demonstrate acquired interpersonal and transferable skills
- Understand the dynamics of working with others
- Develop strategies for problem solving
5. Systems Analysis and Design
- Understand the principles of project management
- Plan a project in terms of organisation and people
- Manage project processes and procedures
6. Website Design
- Understand different systems life cycles
- Understand the importance of a feasibility study
- Perform a system investigation
7. Database Design Concepts
- Understand website design concepts
- Design interactive websites
- Implement interactive websites
- Test interactive websites
8. Local Area Networking Technologies
- Understand databases and data management systems
- Understand database design techniques
- Design, create and document databases
Method of Delivery
- Understand the impact of LAN technologies
- Design LAN infrastructures
- Implement LAN infrastructures
- Manage LAN infrastructures
Day/evening classes taught by lecturers with academic and industry experience
Student must pass all the 8 modules to be awarded with the Pearson BTEC HNC Diploma in Computing and Systems Development. Students must satisfy the minimum attendance requirements - 75% for Part-Time students and 90% for Full-time (both local and international students) - in all the modules for the award of Certificate of Attendance (COA).
Assessment & Grading System
BTEC Level 4 HNC Diploma assessments are assignment-based
. Assignment is a formal listing of tasks within a vocational context. The assessments will be at unit (module level). The overall grade for the Diploma is based on the learner's best performance in units at the level 4 or 5 to the value of 75 credits. Each Unit is graded as a Pass ('0' credit point), Merit ('1' credit point) or Distinction ('2' credit point).
Points scored = (credits achieved at pass grade) * 0 + (credits achieved at Merit grade) * 1+ (credits achieved at Distinction grade) * 2
Overall grade for the Higher National Diploma is awarded based on the table below:
Expected date of release of Assessment result
|0 - 74
|75 - 149
Assessment results will be available to the students within 3 months upon completion of the last assessment for that assessment cycle. Appeal (if any) on assessment results must be lodged within 7 days after the release of assessment results.
Fees & Funding
Please enquire below for course fees and financial grants: