The Higher National Diploma (HND) in Computing and Systems Development aims to enhance your career and employability in the areas of Computer Science and IT by developing a critical awareness and appreciation of current IT issues.
BTEC HND qualifications are widely welcomed by the employers, recognized by many international professional bodies and having access to UK and other universities to enter into the second or final year of an honours degree in Computer Science.
Successful BTEC Higher National graduates:
About Pearson Education (UK)
- Have the ability to progress into suitable employment in the work place.
- Can gain accreditation and valuable continuing professional development when in employment.
- Are able to gain exemptions and progress onto Honours degree programmes in relevant subjects.
- Are able to apply for membership of professional bodies.
- BTEC Higher National Diploma is directly awarded by Pearson Education, UK.
- Pearson Education is part of Pearson, the world’s leading learning company. They believe education is for everyone, and they provide the tools for people to learn: whatever their age, wherever they are, in whatever fashion they choose. Pearson qualifications and resources ensure that students develop their skills and knowledge to the full, and are equipped to contribute positively in their chosen learning pathways and careers all over the world.
- Pearson Education is the world’s leading learning company with a portfolio that provides innovative textbooks, assessment and testing, technology solutions and integrated services. Pearson qualification suite includes Edexcel academic, BTEC vocational and LCCI qualifications.
- Every day all over the world Pearson products and services help learning flourish,and wherever learning flourishes, so do people.
Course Outline & Programme Structure
- Candidate who is at least 18 years of age with GCE A-Level or other equivalent qualifications; OR
- Level 3 or equivalent qualifications; OR
- Mature students (at least 21 years of age with GCE N/O-Level or its equivalent qualifications with suitable industrial/commercial experience).
The Pearson BTEC Level 5 Higher National Diploma in Computing & Systems Development is a qualification with a minimum of 240 credits which must contain a minimum of 65 credits at level 4 and a minimum of 125 credits at level 5. The modules, levels and credit values of the programme satisfying the above requirements are given below:
1. Business Skills for e-Commerce
||Unit (Module) Title
||Business Skills for e-Commerce
||Employability and Professional Development
||Project Design, Implementation and Evaluation
||Management in IT
||Management of Projects
||Systems Analysis and Design
||Database Design Concepts
||Quality Systems in IT
||Data Analysis and Design
||Data Structures and Algorithms
||Local Area Networking Technologies
2. Computer Systems
- Understand the structure and aims of business organisations
- Understand the impact of e-Commerce
- Design e-Commerce solutions
3. Employability and Professional Development
- Understand the function of computer systems
- Design computer systems
- Build and configure computer systems
- Undertake routine maintenance on computer systems
4. Project Design, Implementation and Evaluation
- Take responsibility for own personal and professional development
- Demonstrate acquired interpersonal and transferable skills
- Understand the dynamics of working with others
- Develop strategies for problem solving
5. Management in IT
- Formulate a project
- Implement the project within agreed procedures and to specification
- Evaluate the project outcomes
- Present the project outcomes
6. Management of Projects
- Understand principles of staff management
- Use software management tools
- Participate in strategic planning
- Understand current developments in information technology
7. Systems Analysis and Design
- Understand the principles of project management
- Plan a project in terms of organisation and people
- Manage project processes and procedures
8. Database Design Concepts
- Understand different systems life cycles
- Understand the importance of a feasibility study
- Perform a system investigation
9. e- Commerce Strategy
- Understand databases and data management systems
- Understand database design techniques
- Design, create and document databases
10. Quality Systems in IT
- Understand the impact of e-Commerce on business
- Plan an e-Commerce strategy
- Manage an e-Commerce strategy
11. Data Analysis & Design
- Understand the need for quality assurance in IT systems
- Employ standard quality control documentation
- Use project management tools
12. Data Structures and Algorithms
- Understand data models and database technologies
- Design and implement relational database systems
- Use manipulation and querying tools
- Test and document relational database system
13. Networking Infrastructure
- Understand data structures and algorithms
- Implement data structures
- Understand how strings are structured and processed
14. Local Area Networking Technologies
- Understand the principles of network infrastructure management
- Design complex network infrastructure systems
- Implement complex network infrastructure systems
- Test complex network infrastructure systems
15. Website Design
- Understand the impact of LAN technologies
- Design LAN infrastructures
- Implement LAN infrastructures
- Manage LAN infrastructures
16. Knowledge-based Systems
- Understand website design concepts
- Design interactive websites
- Implement interactive websites
- Test interactive websites
Method of Delivery
- Understand knowledge-based systems
- Design knowledge-based applications
- Develop knowledge-based applications
Day/evening classes taught by lectures with academic and industry experience
Student must pass all the 16 modules to be awarded with the HND in Computing & Systems Development. Students must satisfy the minimum attendance requirements [75% for Part-Time students and 90% for Full-time (both local and international) students] in all the modules for the award of Certificate of Attendance (COA).
Assessment & Grading System
BTEC Higher National Diploma assessments are assignment based and not on exams. Assignment is a formal listing of tasks within a vocational context. The assessments will be at unit level. The overall grade for the Diploma is based on the learner's best performance in units at the level 5 to the value of 75 credits. Each Unit is graded as a Pass ('0' credit point), Merit ('1' credit point) or Distinction ('2' credit point).
Points scored = (credits achieved at pass grade) * 0 + (credits achieved at Merit grade) * 1+ (credits achieved at Distinction grade) * 2
Overall grade for the Higher National Diploma is awarded based on the table below:
Expected date of release of Assessment result
|0 - 74
|75 - 149
Assessment results will be available to the students within 3 months upon completion of the last assessment for that assessment cycle. Appeal (if any) on assessment results must be lodged within 7 days after the release of assessment results.
Fees & Funding
Please enquire below for course fees and financial grants: