With strong research links to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Zhejiang University, the SUTD PhD Programme offers you a chance to collaborate with the best minds in their fields and conduct breakthrough research that will make a difference to the world.
SUTD’s fluid, stimulating and open setting creates an environment which places a strong emphasis on interdisciplinary and collaborative research and provides opportunities for industry internships, overseas research attachments and teaching experience.
The SUTD PhD Programme also features:
• Access to multiple world-class faculty with co-supervision flexibility
• Leading-edge research experience through potential overseas research attachments at top universities worldwide
• Close research collaborations and exposure to industry through local or overseas internships
• Participation in a multi-disciplinary design experience
• Professional development programme and teaching experience
• Attractive scholarship funding
Upon enrolment, you will pursue a PhD under one of our four academic pillars:
• Architecture and Sustainable Design
• Engineering Product Development
• Engineering Systems and Design
• Information Systems Technology and Design
SUTD PhD Programme students are required to pass the following in order to graduate:
• Coursework requirements
• Oral and/or written examination
• Submission of a thesis for examination board's approval
Students who successfully complete the programme will graduate with a Doctor of Philosophy degree under the same academic pillar. The PhD curriculum and graduation requirements are pillar-specific – please visit their websites for further details.
Here in SUTD, you will be able to engage in in-depth research with our professors from our four academic pillars:
• Architecture and Sustainable Design (ASD) – focusing sustainable architectural and urban solutions to meet the present and future needs of buildings and cities
• Engineering Product Development (EPD) – focusing on innovative technology-intensive products that span multiple disciplines
• Engineering Systems and Design (ESD) – focusing on large-scale complex systems whose performance and function depend on their technology and socio-economic context
• Information Systems Technology and Design (ISTD) – focusing on information systems that interact with the physical world, humans and machines.
Applicants should possess the following:
• At least a Bachelor’s degree or above with excellent academic standing
• An appropriate GRE/GMAT score (recommended but not mandatory)
• Proficiency in English (IELTS or TOEFL is required if English is not your medium of instruction in your studies)
• Three recommenders (ideally academic faculty who can comment on the applicant’s scholastic abilities and achievements)
• A Statement of Objectives
o State your experience, research interest and passion for the topic of study
Both 4-year bond-free Fellowships are open to all nationalities and are awarded on a competitive basis to outstanding full-time PhD Programme applicants.
SUTD President’s Graduate Fellowship (PhD)
• Full tuition fees
• Monthly stipend of S$3,000 (up to 10% additional stipend for Singapore Citizens and Singapore Permanent Residents)
• Annual conference funding support
• Opportunities for overseas research attachments and industry internships
SUTD PhD Fellowship
• Full tuition fees
• Monthly stipend of S$2,500 (Singapore Citizens), S$2,200 (Singapore Permanent Residents) and S$2,000 (International Students). Monthly stipends will be increased by S$500 after passing Qualifying Exams