The Bachelor of Science (Molecular Biology and Biotechnology) aims to train students in key elements of biotechnology and manipulation of molecular biological data, enabling them to be able to work in nascent biotechnology enterprises. Students will study biochemistry related to biomembranes, protein structure and function and bioinformatics and gene structure and function. The practical work includes hands on experience in biochemistry and molecular biology techniques, allowing students to develop general laboratory skills in experimental design and data interpretation.
- Advanced Standing
Receive 6 – 12 module exemptions with a relevant polytechnic diploma qualification, with possible completion in 12 – 36 months.
- Purpose-Built Science Labs
Work with some of the industry’s most commonly used equipment across our three life science and chemistry labs, which are designed through more than 10 years of teaching life science.
- Double Majors Advantage
Combine perspectives across two life science disciplines to enhance your learning experience.
Potential Career Opportuities
- Medical Technologist
- Scientific Writer
- Quality Control Supervisor
Year 1 Core Modules
Year 1 Elective Modules (Choose 2)
- Big Ideas in Science: Life, the Universe and Everything
- Biology of Cell and Organism
- Chemistry 1A
- Genetics, Human Biology and Evolution
- Organs and Organ Systems
- Statistics for Life Sciences OR Mathematical Applications in Biology
Year 2 Core Modules
- Chemistry 1B*
- Foundations of Biomedical Science
- Mathematical Applications in Biology
- Pharmaceutical Formulation A*
- Statistics for Life Sciences
Year 2 Elective Modules (Choose 1)
- Big Ideas in Science: Career Options and Professional Identity
- Introduction to Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Introduction to Microbiology
- Metabolic Biochemistry and Cell Biology
- Molecular Genetics
- Pharmacology A
- Pharmacology B
Year 3 Core Modules
- Chemical Analysis
- Medicinal Chemistry A*
Year 3 Elective Modules (Choose 2)
- Advanced Biochemistry and Medical Biology Laboratory Course
- Clinical Biochemistry and Haematology
- Group Project
- Molecular Genetics and Genomics
- Molecular Genetics and Genomics Laboratory Course
- Applications of Biotechnology OR Advanced Topics in Biochemistry and Systems Biology
- Advanced Analytical Biochemistry and Molecular Biology*
- Advanced Topics in Biochemistry and Cell Biology*
- Advanced Topics in Biochemistry and Systems Biology
- Advanced Topics in Biomedical Science A
- Advanced Topics in Medical Sciences B
- Applications of Biomedical Science
- Applications of Biotechnology
- Practical Skills in Biomedical Science*
*Recommended Electives for Students to choose for course completion within 28 months (full time) – 48 months (part-time)Mode of Assessment
Assessment of this programme may include assignments, tests, projects, reports, lab work and final examinations.
English Language Requirements
Advanced standing may be given for approved Diploma courses upon a final Diploma result. All applications are subject to approval by La Trobe University. Minimum Age Requirement
- GCE ‘A’-Levels minimum 7 in total for the best 3 H2 subjects or, STPM 8 in total for the best 3 academic subjects, and min. grade C for Chemistry; OR
- Local Science-related diploma in relevant areas; OR
- Local Engineering diploma with Calculus Mathematics background and has a ‘C’ average grade may be considered; OR
- PSB Academy Foundation Diploma in Life Sciences with an average Pass, and with a Pass in each of the units
English language test scores must be less than two years old at the date of application to La Trobe University.
- GCE ‘O’ level English grade C or above or equivalent; OR
- IELTS (Academic) score of 6.0 with no individual band score less than 6.0; OR
- TOEFL Paper-based Test -a minimum overall score of 550 with a score of 5 or more in the Test of Written English; OR
- TOEFL Internet-based Test -64 with 13 in Reading, 12 in Listening, 18 in Speaking and 21 in Writing; OR
- Pearson Test of English (Academic) (PTE) Overall score of 50 with no communicative skill score less than 50.
Duration & Intake
The programme can be completed within 12- 28 months, depending on number of exemptions.
Terms: 4 modules in a trimester
Fees & Funding
Total Course Fees
Singapore-based Students & International Students
- 24 modules: S$47,508.00
- 18 modules: S$35,631.00 ^
- 12 Modules: S$23,754.00^
Singapore-based Students: S$45,132.60 (24 modules)
International Students: S$47,508.00 (24 modules)Payment Instalments
^ Relevant Life Science Polytechnic Diploma holders can enjoy 6 to 12 module exemptions, subject to university entry requirements.
- 24 modules: 6
- 18 modules: 5
- 12 Modules: 3
* Applicable for students who completed PSB Academy’s Foundation Diploma in Life SciencesAll fees are subject to annual revision. Total course fee is inclusive of lab fees.
- Application Fee: S$128.40
- Student Development Fee: S$321.00
All fees are subject to annual revision.
- Application Fee: S$450.00
- Student’s Pass issuance and multiple journey visa fees (varies by country): S$60.00 – S$90.00
- Student Induction and Development Fee (For New International Student): S$1,070.00
- Students Induction and Development Fee (For Progressing International Student): S$321.00