The Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Psychology (Clinical Psychology) (Top-up) programme is a Direct Honours Degree programme offered by the Faculty of Arts, Design and Social Sciences, Northumbria University, United Kingdom.
Clinical Psychology involves understanding different aspects of physical and mental health problems and their impact on one’s well-being. These range from schizophrenia and depression to learning difficulties and addiction. This programme enables students to learn about a variety of physical and mental health issues, methods of assessment of those issues, and treatment and therapy options. For example, there are modules looking at what can cause physical and mental health problems (eg. eating disorders and alcoholism).
Therefore, this specialised programme aims to provide students with a broad knowledge of Clinical Psychology.
The practical research aspect runs throughout the programme and allows students to develop increasingly autonomous research skills as they progress over the two years. In the theory-based modules at level 5, students will mainly learn about research (research-led learning). Whereas, in the lab-based modules, students will progressively learn how to research (research-orientated learning) and conduct their own research (research-based learning). Discussing research (research-tutored learning) is an important approach in all modules. The final year project will be a culmination of their research training as they will work with a supervisor but take the lead in initiating, designing, conducting and reporting an original piece of empirical work.
The programme is mainly assignment-based with examinations. It consists of 11 modules. Each module is supported with 16–32 contact hours and lessons are conducted on weekday evenings and weekends.
Area of Studies
- Advanced Qualitative and Survey Methods and Laboratory Experience
- Advanced Experimental Methods and Laboratory Experience
- Eating Disorders
- Mental Health Difficulties and Therapeutic Approaches
- Mental Health, Cognition and the Brain
- Mental Health Problems and Crime
- Neuropsychology and Cognitive Science
- Psychobiology, Cognition and Individual Differences
- Positive Psychology
- Psychology Project
- Social and Developmental Psychology and Psychopathology
You can complete the programme within 18 months.
The Honours in the Degree will be awarded in accordance with the University programme regulations.
Student Membership with Singapore Psychological Society (SPS)
All students will be entitled to a waiver of registration and administration fees of their initial application for membership with SPS. Founded in 1979, the Singapore Psychological Society aims to advance psychology as a science and a profession in Singapore. Its members comprise both practitioners as well as academics who share knowledge in psychology and promote its application for the benefit of individuals and society.
The SPS supports members in their ongoing career development and benefits include guest speaking arrangements, networking opportunities, professional development and updates on psychology-related information.
Please contact your Programme Consultant for more information or for assistance if you wish to apply for the SPS student membership.
After graduation, students may choose to pursue the following roles, including, but not limited to:
- Counsellor or Counselling Officer
- Human Resource Manager
- Law Enforcement Officer
- Marketing Manager
- Prison Counsellor
- Psychologist (with further study)
- Research Assistant
- Social Service Officer
- Special Education Manager
- Youth Officer
Minimum Entry Requirements
- Kaplan Diploma
- Polytechnic Diploma
- Other private Diplomas or foreign qualifications will be assessed on a case-by-case basis
- When required, work experience will be applied as part of the admissions process. Any work experience assessment and related admissions decisions will be conducted by the University, and lead to the recognition of the achievement of learning outcomes and the award of University Credit
- GCE O-Level English language subject (Grade C6 and above); OR
- IELTS 6.0 or equivalent
- For more information, please click here.
In all cases, the final decision on admission to the programme rests with the University.
Duration & Intake
A typical term is an approximately 11 -13 week period covering 2 modules. Classes are conducted on weekday evenings and weekends.
The actual cycle may vary depending on the nature of the course and the lecturers’ availability. The University and Kaplan reserve the rights to alter the learning cycle, days and timing of the seminar if necessary.
Each unit is assessed by a combination of written assignments, projects, presentation or examinations. Assessment methods may vary according to individual unit requirements.
There are 2 intakes per year:
Please contact our programme consultant to obtain a copy of the class schedule.
Minimum class size: 20 students
Class may commence with fewer students than indicated above, subject to resource availability. In the event of cancellation, you will be notified at least 1 week before the programme commencement date, stated in your student contract with Kaplan, and our consultants will contact you to advise on a backup plan.
Maximum allowed candidature period: Not applicable.
Fees & Funding
The total tuition fee covers university registration, lectures/tutorials/workshops and assessments such as assignments/tests/examinations/projects (where applicable), programme materials in digital format, Degree (if earned) and transcript.
||Fee inclusive of 8% GST(applicable on or after 1 January 2023)
payable in 6 instalments
Receive a S$400 referral fee when you recommend a friend to enrol in our Degree programme
||Fee inclusive of 8% GST(applicable on or after 1 January 2023)
|Non-Refundable Application Fee
|Student Development Fee
Payment for this fee will be included in the first instalment.
The Student Development Fee covers the provision of a comprehensive range of initiatives aimed at enhancing the career and industry-readiness of Kaplan students, such as programmes aimed at improving interpersonal skills, technical and digital skills, as well as career advisory and job matching services.
All fees indicated are inclusive of Goods and Services Tax (GST) at the prevailing rate. The prevailing GST rate from 1 January 2023 to 31 December 2023 is 8%. From 1 January 2024, the GST rate will increase to 9%. For more information on the GST revision, please refer to the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore (IRAS) website. Please refer to the official price list for a detailed breakdown.
Fees remain subject to change. Applicant will be charged the prevailing fees and GST at the time of application. For more information about the programme, please contact our programme consultant.
Choice of flexible repayment schemes available to suit your needs
- Standard Repayment: Pay your monthly instalments (principal and interest) once your loan is disbursed.
- Partial Repayment: Pay partial instalments for up to 3 years or till the end of your programme, whichever is earlier. Standard monthly instalments (principal and interest) will commence thereafter.
- Interest Servicing: Pay only interest for up to 3 years or till the end of your programme, whichever is earlier. Standard monthly instalments (principal and interest) will commence thereafter.
- Flexible repayment tenure of up to 8 years.