The Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Guidance and Counselling (Top-up) programme is a Direct Honours Degree programme with dual specialisations offered by the Faculty of Arts, Design and Social Sciences, Northumbria University.
The Degree programme is a valuable foundation for those who wish to use guidance and counselling strategies as part of a job role in working with young people and adults in community, education or health settings, or as the basis for further postgraduate research or professional training.
It offers a challenging and innovative study experience which draws on theoretical perspectives and is enhanced by opportunities to put that theory into practice in a range of settings.
Studying this Degree programme will equip you with a variety of skills and knowledge needed to work within a broad range of helping professions.
The programme is 100% coursework with no examinations. It consists of 11 modules. Each module is supported with 32–36 contact hours and lessons are conducted on weekday evenings and weekends.
Area of Studies
- Brief Approaches to Counselling and Helping
- Career Development Project
- Engaging with Older Clients
- Guidance and Counselling in Groups
- Guidance and Counselling Projects
- Mentoring: Theory and Practice
- Mending the Gap: Collaborative Learning with Service Users
- Models of Career Guidance Practice
- Narrative Approaches to Counselling and Helping
- Research in Practice
- The Skilled Helper
You can complete the programme within 18 months.
The Honours in the Degree will be awarded in accordance with the University programme regulations.
Professional Recognition and Ranking
- Graduates of the Northumbria University Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Guidance and Counselling Degree programme who continue to pursue our Monash University Master of Counselling Master’s Degree programme and complete 600 hours of face-to-face counselling and 60 hours of clinical supervision would meet the standards and requirements stipulated by the Singapore Association for Counselling (SAC) for SAC membership as registered counsellors. For more information, please refer to SAC website
- Ranked 6th for Counselling, Psychotherapy & Occupational Therapy in the UK (The Complete University Guide – Counselling, Psychotherapy & Occupational Therapy Subject League Table 2023
After graduation, students may choose to pursue the following roles, including, but not limited to:
- Counsellor or Counselling Officer
- Education and Career Guidance Counsellor
- Guidance Counsellor
- Health Coach
- Human Resource Manager
- Prison Counsellor
- Research Assistant
- Youth Officer
Minimum Entry Requirements
- Kaplan Diploma
- Polytechnic Diploma
- Other private Diplomas or foreign qualifications will be assessed on a case-by-case basis
- When required, work experience will be applied as part of the admissions process. Any work experience assessment and related admissions decisions will be conducted by the University, and lead to the recognition of the achievement of learning outcomes and the award of University Credit
- GCE O-Level English language subject (Grade C6 and above); OR
- IELTS 6.0 or equivalent
- For more information, please click here.
In all cases, the final decision on admission to the programme rests with the University.
Duration & Intake
A typical term lasts approximately 11 -13 weeks, covering 2 modules. Classes are conducted on weekday evenings and weekends.
The actual cycle may vary depending on the nature of the course and the lecturers’ availability. The University and Kaplan reserve the rights to alter the learning cycle, days and timing of the seminar if necessary.
Each unit is assessed by a combination of written assignments, projects, case studies and presentations. There are no examinations. Assessment methods may vary according to individual unit requirements.
There are 2 intakes per year:
Please contact our programme consultant to obtain a copy of the class schedule.
Minimum class size: 20 students
Class may commence with fewer students than indicated above, subject to resource availability. In the event of cancellation, you will be notified at least 1 week before the programme commencement date, stated in your student contract with Kaplan, and our consultants will contact you to advise on a backup plan.
Maximum allowed candidature period: Not applicable.
Fees & Funding
The total tuition fee covers university registration, lectures/tutorials/workshops and assessments such as assignments/tests/examinations/projects (where applicable), programme materials in digital format, Degree (if earned) and transcript.
|Fee inclusive of 8% GST(applicable on or after 1 January 2023)
payable in 6 instalments
Receive a S$400 referral fee when you recommend a friend to enrol in our Degree programme
|Fee inclusive of 8% GST(applicable on or after 1 January 2023)
|Non-Refundable Application Fee
|Student Development Fee
Payment for this fee will be included in the first instalment.
The Student Development Fee covers the provision of a comprehensive range of initiatives aimed at enhancing the career and industry-readiness of Kaplan students, such as programmes aimed at improving interpersonal skills, technical and digital skills, as well as career advisory and job matching services.
All fees indicated are inclusive of Goods and Services Tax (GST) at the prevailing rate. The prevailing GST rate from 1 January 2023 to 31 December 2023 is 8%. From 1 January 2024, the GST rate will increase to 9%. For more information on the GST revision, please refer to the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore (IRAS) website. Please refer to the official price list for a detailed breakdown.
Fees remain subject to change. Applicant will be charged the prevailing fees and GST at the time of application. For more information about the programme, please contact our programme consultant.
Choice of flexible repayment schemes available to suit your needs
- Standard Repayment: Pay your monthly instalments (principal and interest) once your loan is disbursed.
- Partial Repayment: Pay partial instalments for up to 3 years or till the end of your programme, whichever is earlier. Standard monthly instalments (principal and interest) will commence thereafter.
- Interest Servicing: Pay only interest for up to 3 years or till the end of your programme, whichever is earlier. Standard monthly instalments (principal and interest) will commence thereafter.
- Flexible repayment tenure of up to 8 years.