The Master of Arts in Professional Education (MAPE) seeks to deepen academic knowledge and competencies for individuals who work in or wish to move into professional roles within various settings of higher and adult professional education.
Within workplaces, services, and organizations, employees are expected to engage in ongoing improvement through continuing professional education. Professional learning has become even more important in recent years with the increasing pressure on schools and academic institutions for greater evidence of quality work and outcomes in the continual education of their own educators. Professional educators play critical roles in professional learning of staff working in schools, universities, and public/ private educational institutions (e.g., teachers, faculty members, administrators and professional development staff) play critical roles in teaching, leading, and researching about their practices and carry out multiple missions of the institution.
This programme aims to provide a rigorous understanding of educational practices and systems from social, philosophical, psychological, cross-national and normative perspectives. It also seeks to foster an understanding of central issues in learning and development, education and training, and educational leadership in the various professional contexts. Its specific objective is to educate professional educators with values and beliefs as well as equipping them with a distinct set of skills to drive mentoring and coaching, innovative training, assessment and design practices.
Who should apply?
Experienced professionals involved in:
- School staff development
- Facilitating Professional Learning Communities (PLCs) in schools
- Mentoring and coaching
- Managing training and professional development organizations
- Managing teams of Adult Educators
- Leading Adult Education project teams
- Policy-making for institutions and professional bodies
- Researching in higher education, and adult and life-long learning
Unique features of the programme
The MAPE (Training and Development) is unique and differentiated from other Masters programmes in Singapore and in the region based on the high degree of local content.
The unique features of the programme include:
- experiential components focusing on applying learning in authentic workplace contexts.
- development of specialised skill sets required for professional development such as evaluating and developing workplace mentoring and coaching skill sets, both of which need greater emphasis in the increasingly complex and dynamic organizational environment.
- development of participants’ capacity to engage in disciplined reflection on their experiences, studies and practices in the local contexts.
- Incorporation of latest development in theories of learning from the learning sciences perspective as well as providing opportunities for participants to understand theories and practice of technology-enhanced learning.
Area of Studies
The MAPE (Training and Development) is a coursework Masters programme of 30 Academic Units. You are required to complete six core courses and two electives. One elective must be selected from the MAPE electives. The other elective can be either from the MAPE elective courses or open electives.
Elective Courses (Select at least one)
- MTD900 Professional Practice Inquiry Skills
- MTD901 Professional Practice Inquiry Project
- MTD902 Foundations of Learning and Instruction
- MTD903 Instructional Design Models and Practices
- MTD904 Facilitating Learning and Performance Improvements at Work
- MTD906 Quality Assurance Processes for Learning Organizations
Open Elective Course
- MTD905 Workplace Coaching and Mentoring
- MTD907 Training Needs Assessment and Solutions
- MTD908 Training Methods and Strategies
- MTD909 E-learning Tools for Training
- MTD910 Multimedia Design
Select one course from the list of MAPE Elective Courses given above or from the list of approved NIE Masters programmes as follows:
- Master of Arts (Educational Management)
- Master of Arts (Instructional Design and Technology)
- Master of Education (Curriculum & Teaching)
- Master of Education (Educational Assessment)
- Master of Education (Learning Sciences & Technologies)
You should have:
- A good Bachelor's degree, preferably with an honours degree
- At least 2 years of working experience in one of the following:
- Teacher Professional Development
- Educational Leadership
- Higher Education
- Continuing Education and Training
- Other relevant adult education or management
- Proficiency in English
Duration & Intake
The programme is offered on both full-time and part-time basis. The candidature periods are as follows:
Fees & Funding
Our tuition fees are subject to revision on a yearly basis. More details can be found here. : https://www.nie.edu.sg/higher-degrees/admissions/fees
Successful Singaporean/PR applicants may be applicable for course fee funding. Click here for more information. : https://www.ial.edu.sg/learn-at-ial/ial-programmes/master/arts-prof-education-mape.html