The Advanced Diploma in Tourism and Hospitality Management aims to expose students to fundamental business, tourism and hospitality concepts. Students will be trained to develop higher-level skills in managing tourism and hospitality organizations which prepare them in key aspects of business management with special focus on related knowledge and core skills.
Students will develop an in-depth understanding of both the front-end operations and back-end processes of the hospitality business through a combination of classroom learning and on-the-job training.
Graduation and Qualification
Students who pass all required assessments and assignments will be awarded an Advanced Diploma in Tourism and Hospitality Management awarded by Coleman College. Graduates who wish to further their studies in this field may apply for a relevant programme offered by other institutions or universities. Admission is subject to these institutions’ or universities’ entry requirements at the point of application.
At the end of the course, students should be able to:
- Understand operational, marketing and managerial aspects of food and beverages as well as the consequence in the managerial decision-making in cost control.
- Explain how tourism had developed over the decades and the demand, economic, sociocultural, environmental impacts of tourism, as well as the management of visitors and transportation means.
- Explain corporate strategic planning, consumer behavior, product development process, marketing, and utilize these information to analyse case studies and how it affects future marketing plan.
- Inculcate supervisory skills needed to succeed in a hospitality career, identify fundamental supervisory responsibilities and explain the steps that supervisors can take to perform effectively on the job.
- Explain how tourism had developed over the decades, explain the demand, economic, sociocultural and environmental impacts of tourism and understand the management of visitors and transportation means.
- Apply the knowledge they have learnt from the course to complete an industrial attachment.
Area of Studies
The programme consists of 6 modules:
Module SynopsisMarketing in Tourism & Hospitality
- Marketing in Tourism & Hospitality
- Development & Planning in Tourism & Hospitality
- Strategic Management in International Tourism and Management
- Managing Change and Innovation
- Tourism & Hospitality Business Development
- Industrial Attachment
The aim of this module is to provide students with an appreciation of marketing in Tourism and Hospitality sectors. It enables students to understand and apply marketing concepts and techniques and encourage them to consider the importance of marketing in their actual or prospective employment or self-employment.Development & Planning in Tourism & Hospitality
The aim of this module is to provide the students with an appreciation of the development and planning involved in the Tourism and Hospitality sectors. It enables the student to understand and apply concepts, knowledge and techniques learned through MICE (Meetings, Incentives, Conventions and Exhibitions) industry, identifying a career path for further development.Strategic Management in International Tourism & Hospitality
The aim of this module is to equip students with the ability to make managerial decision in light of various influencing factors. Students will be taught using real-life cases, applying the various management strategic models and methodologies, where they will be guided on how to make strategic judgments in the best interest to the organization.Managing Change & Innovation
The aim of this module is to provide students with an appreciation of managing changes and innovation in the organisation. It enables students to understand the challenging issues in managing various stakeholders involved in the change process.Tourism and Hospitality Business Development
The aim of this module is to equip students with the fundamental understanding in tourism and hospitality business development from the perceptive of global demand in tourism growth, the efforts contributed by the country’s various public sectors to stimulate the tourism sector.Industrial Attachment
Coleman College recognizes an important aspect in education is about gaining professional skills in a relevant workplace. As such, several of our certificate and diploma courses provide opportunities for students to gain valuable workplace skills from our arrangement for industrial attachments at relevant workplaces where students are placed in organizations within the tourism and hospitality and related establishments for a period of 6 months after completion of their institutional studies. Students are expected to have successfully completed all modules (institutional) before they proceed to the 6-month Industrial Attachment. For this course, the industrial attachment is compulsory and has to be completed successfully before they are awarded the Advanced Diploma. In cases where the students are unable to obtain the Training Work Pass from the Ministry of Manpower for the Industrial Attachment, they are required to complete a Management Research (project paper) to be awarded the Advanced Diploma.
|| At least 18 years old
||At least 3 subject passes with Grade C6 and above at GCE ’O’ level OR
Diploma Graduate OR
Senior Middle School OR
Grade 12 OR
Diploma in Tourism OR
Diploma in Hospitality Management OR equivalent
|| at least 2 Years working experience
|| IELTS 5.0 or equivalent
Duration & Intake
The course duration is 12 months
Full Time: (6 months of Institutional study and 6 months of Industrial Attachment).
Maximum allowed period for the student to complete the course is 18 months
Fees & Funding
- Installment plan available
* All payments excluding GST