Effective communication skills are arguably the single most important skill that can take organizations to great heights. In a workplace environment, where many people of different backgrounds and personalities interact daily, the ability to effectively communicate and are engaged with one another becomes critical to the department and the company's success.
Yet, have you ever explained something so clearly to someone, yet they do not seem to understand you? Or vice versa? This programme looks at communication barriers and how to overcome them. You will also learn about the copyrighted “Colored Brain” communication technology developed by Arthur F. Carmazzi. It reveals why people do and say the things they do, and effective communication strategies with people of a different “brain colour”. (“Colored Brain Communication” is accredited and validated by the American Business School of Psychology).
This workshop also explains 8 fundamental human drivers that guide the individual actions and decisions of all staff. In other words, these drivers can motivate or demotivate individual and team performance.
This course enables you to achieve greater synergy with better work relationships as you lead and influence communication flow in your organisation through managing conflicts; resistance to change; when giving/receiving feedback; and enhancing creativity at work.
Upon completion of this workshop, participants will be able to;
- Understand the stages of team development and how to form a cohesive team through communication.
- Understand the psychological elements and barriers of communication and how to overcome this.
- Learn the foundation of “coloured brain” communication, and develop improved communication strategies to communicate and influence people of different brain colour; and
- Apply techniques to manage conflict; manage resistance to change; give/receive feedback, and enhance creativity at work.
This program will benefit anyone - all employees, Managers, Team Leaders, or anyone seeking a workshop to enhance their communication and leadership skills.
Module 1:Setting the Scene & Building Rapport
Module 2: What Makes an Effective Team
- Welcome and Introduction of Trainer
- Agreed ground rules
- Overview of course outline - purpose, outcomes and benefits of the workshop
- Ascertain participant expectations
Module 3: Approaching Brilliant Communication
- Stages in team development (Tuckman & Jensen model)
- Benefits of an effective team
- Consequences of an ineffective team
- Ingredients for an effective team
- Activity & Debrief on a team challenge
Module 4: The Questions You Ask; The Way You Listen
- Identify why communicating effectively is essential.
- Identify circumstances where a message sent is not the same as the message received
- Recognise psychological barriers which affect communication and learn how to overcome them
- Applying the 3 “Vs” in communication
Module 5: Introduction into the Power of “Coloured Brain” Communication
- The magic of powerful questions
- How effective is your listening?
- “Involving Faces” and Listening Communication Puzzle
Module 6: Mastering relationships and working with People of Different Colours
- Understand coloured brain concept - nature v nurture
- Learn the genetic colour brain communication style of each brain colour (to understand why people do the things they do)
Module 7: Giving and Receiving Feedback
- Learn tips and techniques to work effectively with each colour brain
- Activity - Apply the information learnt towards
- Preempting certain issues
- Improving the buy-in of your ideas
Module 8: Application, Application, Application
- Benefits of effective feedback
- Guidelines for giving constructive feedback
- Using the “Sandwich Technique”
- Leveraging on the Situation-Impact-Future Action feedback formula
Module 9: Understanding Personal “Emotional Drivers”
- Application Activity where the leader is to display effective leadership and communication skills in the task
- The group is to give feedback and note learning from the activity.
- Overall debrief
Module 10: Apply, Analyse and Discuss
- Understand the concept of the 8 Emotional Drivers
- Card Activity - Apply understanding of Emotional Drivers to rank your strongest emotional drivers.
Module 11: Communicating and Managing Change
- Activity – Applying knowledge of Emotional Drivers to:
- Facilitate effective work relationships
- Employ the right job candidate
- Retain productive employees
Module 12: Managing Conflicts
- Embrace the inevitability of change
- Understand the psychological states of change (SARAH Model)
- Leader’s role in communicating & driving change through enabling the “head”, “heart” and “hands.”
- Apply communication tools to overcoming team member resistance to change (Bridges Model)
- Building a case for change (Kotter Model)
Module 13: Building an Environment of Success For Yourself and Others Around You
- Understanding the 5 conflict management styles (Thomas Kilman model)
- Activity/Video: “Stand by Your Animal”
- Discuss the pros and cons of each style
- Analyse scenarios of when each style can be used
Conclusion & Learning Takeaways
- “Hello” activity on Leading Meaningfully.
- Activity: What would you do differently
Available Course Sessions
Please click here to stay updated on upcoming sessions.
Celina Gan has accumulated a vast experience and know-how in working, training and coaching participants from different cultures, work backgrounds and across languages. Celina trains in Europe, Middle East and Asia, working with leading MNCs, the civil service and educational institutions.
Prior to becoming a full time trainer, facilitator and coach, Celina worked in the healthcare and legal industries. She started her career as a registered nurse and midwife in the UK. Celina worked in several NHS hospitals in the UK. She independently ran an Air Force based ante-natal clinic and conducted parent-craft classes in London. Celina trained staff on identifying patient needs, dealing with conflict situations, difficult patients and patient relationship management.
After working within healthcare, Celina undertook legal studies and held positions as Contracts and Commercial Adviser to BP Singapore and worked as a Legal Consultant in the UK, Spain and Malaysia. During this time, Celina headed and managed various legal departments, conducted training workshops and offered consultancy services to international corporations; as well as the educational and public sectors.