Gain knowledge and skills to perform investigative activities in compliance with legal requirements.
Be able to conduct surveillance competently.
Be able to prepare and submit investigation reports and give evidence in court confidently.
The objective of this course is to equip participants with the knowledge and skills to perform investigation activities in compliance with legal requirement and be able to apply them to the workplace. This course or competency unit consists of 5 CEs :
- CE1: Interpret job roles and responsibilities of investigator
- CE2: Comply with legislative requirements when conducting investigation assignments
- CE3: Conduct surveillance
- CE4: Prepare and submit investigation log sheet
- CE5: Give evidence in court
Any individuals who:
- Aspires to embark on a career as a private investigator OR
- Existing private investigator who needs a license to conduct private investigative work
1. Interpret job roles and responsibilities of investigator
- Understand the different types of services provided by the investigation agencies and the roles of the investigator.
- Identify and explain the duties and responsibilities of an investigator within the investigation agency
- Identify and interpret the relevant sections of legislative and regulatory requirements that govern the investigation activities
- Understand the code of ethics of the investigation sector and how they apply to investigation activities
2. Comply with legislative requirements when conducting investigation assignments
- Engage in discussion with project executive to clarify understanding on the details of the case brief.
- Create an investigation log sheet as a record for taking notes and as reference for use when giving evidence in court.
- Prepare appropriate logistic supplies required for investigation activities.
- Comply with relevant legislative and regulatory requirements when carrying out investigation case.
3. Conduct surveillance
- Determine the appropriate surveillance activities and make preparation to carry out surveillance activities to obtain required evidence.
- Establish communication channels with project executive in accordance with organisational procedures.
- Assess the ground before carrying out actual surveillance activities.
- Carry out observation on surveillance site(s) according to organisation procedures, that are within the bounderies of:
- Legislative guidleines
- Investigation objectives
- Health and safety requirements
- Investigation code of ethics
- Operate surveillance equipment to capture relevant evidence in accordance with:
- Investigation objectives
- Legislative requirements
- Apply appropriate observation techniques when conducting surveillance activities.
- Take corrective action to address unexpected situations according to organisational procedures.
- Conclude surveillance according to organisation procedures:
4. Prepare and submit investigation log sheet
- Document the information gathered during investigation work clearly and accurately by:
- Recording all investigation events in the log sheet
- Ensuring the information recorded is according to approved organisation format
- Complete log sheet factually and objectively according to the information gathered.
- Observe the rules of evidence when handling physical evidences which form part of the case investigation.
- Present completed log sheet to project executive according to organisational procedures which may include:
- Submitting log sheet within required timeframe
- Ensuring supporting evidences / materials such as photographs are attached
- Keeping a copy of the log sheet for personal reference
5. Give evidence in court
- Prepare self (investigator) on the day of official proceedings by:
- Bringing along personal (investigator) notebook / log sheet which contain all information arising from investigation
- Ensuring proper attire when attending official proceedings
- Ensuring relevant evidence are organised for presentation in official proceedings
- Make preparation to attend official proceedings which includes going through relevant documents and records of investigation prior to appearance in official proceedings:
- Seeking any clarifications or doubts from appropriate person
- Knowing what to say when in court
- Observe strict official proceeding protocol and follow instructions given by officials.
- Give evidence clearly and based on facts.
- When in doubt, seek permission to make reference from facts recorded in log sheet before proceeding to give evidence.
40 hours (excluding assessment)
Available Course Sessions
Please click here to stay updated on upcoming sessions.
NTUC Learninghub Pte Ltd (Executive Arm of NTUC LearningHub)
NTUC LearningHub® employs industry experienced and vendor certified instructors. These instructors are required to achieve sufficient qualifications before leading a class. In addition, we work with partners to deliver the latest course materials and computer facilities so that students can learn critical skills and prepare for the examinations.