The active push for Singapore buildings to be green has generated a strong demand for a new "green collar" workforce. This has created an urgent need for associate professionals with the knowledge and skills to apply the latest knowledge and skills to apply the latest knowledge in green building technology (GBT) and mechanical services to design, maintain and manage green buildings.
The Diploma in Mechanical Engineering (Green Building Technology) builds on the core of a mechanical engineering programme with an emphasis on GBT. GBT increases the efficiency in the use of building resources such as energy, water and building materials while reducing the impact they have on human health and the environment.
The programme aims to train students in the design and construction of energy-efficient M&E (mechanical & electrical) building services. In the first two years of study, a strong technical foundation will be laid while courses in GBT will be built upon in the third year.
Students will be equipped with fundamental knowledge and specialised skills that enable them to:
- supervise M&E works effectively;
- contribute to an organisation's execution of environmental and quality programmes;
- contribute to the design, fabrication, modification and commissioning of green facilities;
- keep abreast of M&E green building technologies in the industry; and
- apply management and financial know-how of business to the industry.
Students will undergo an industrial attachment programme to put their skills into practice and gain experience before graduation.
Upon successful completion of the programme, graduates have the potential to become the new generation of specialists in the niche area of sustainability development.
Graduates will be able to perform the following job roles:
- Assistant Engineer
- Associate Energy Manager
- Site Supervisor
- Assistant Facilities Manager
- Technical Specialist
3 GCE 'O' Levels
a) English Language - Grade 1 to 7;
b) Mathematics - Grade 1 to 6; and
c) A relevant subject - Grade 1 to 6; or
ITE Higher NITEC or GCE 'N' Levels and NITEC with a minimum GPA of 2.75 in a relevant discipline.
Those who have attempted the GCE 'O' Levels but do not meet the specified grade in English or Mathematics may take an English or Mathematics test conducted by BCA Academy to enable the Academy to assess their enrolment eligibility.
Candidates with other academic qualifications and experiences may be considered for admission on a case-by-case basis.
All new intake students are required to own a notebook with the following recommended specification and software:
- Intel Core Processor
- 8 GB RAM
- 64-bit Windows Operating System
- Microsoft Office
- Anti-virus software
Additional Qualifications Awarded
Upon successful completion of the programme, graduates will also be awarded the following additional qualifications:
- Singapore Certified Energy Manager (Associate)
- Certificate of Successful Completion in Green Mark Manager Course
- Certificate of Successful Completion in Fire Safety Manager Course
- Certificate of Successful Completion in Gas Technology Course
Fees & Funding
Please enquire below for course fees and financial grants: