Manager: The Communicator

MDIS


Course introduction

We live in a world populated with people. We work and play in a web of relationships and inter-dependencies. This has led the Carnegie Foundation to observe that only 15% of a person's success is determined by job knowledge and technical skills. The other 85% is determined by the individual's attitude and ability to relate to other people. As a manager or supervisor, we need to work well with our subordinates. Inter-relational and communication skills become an important tool to us. In this 2-day programme, you will learn how to communicate effectively with people of different behavioural styles, how you can build an effective team and motivate them towards achieving the department's objectives. Problems are inevitable and crop up in our work places. You will be taught how to conduct effective departmental meetings so that problems in the company can get resolved. You will learn how to reframe your mind to overcome adversities and to resolve problems in new and creative ways so as to improve the productivity of the company. You will become a more well-informed and confident manager ready to take on the daily challenges of your department.



Target Audience


  •     Aspiring Managers
  •     Young Managers
  •     Supervisors



Course Outline


Objectives

Upon completion of this two-day workshop: participants will learn how to:

  •         Relate well with people through effective communication
  •         Motivate others and achieve the department’s objectives
  •         Build a more effective team
  •         Make effective decisions
  •         Properly define and effectively resolve problems
  •         Turn problems into opportunities and overcome adversities
  •         Conduct effective meetings

Curriculum

COMMUNICATING EFFECTIVELY

The key to effective communication is the understanding that different people behave differently.  You learn how to profile your own behavioural style, and how to relate to people with different behavioural styles through the appropriate way of communication.  You will also be taught how to actively listen to others, how to give and receive proper feedbacks, how to delegate effectively, and how to resolve a conflict.

MOTIVATION & BUILDING AN EFFECTIVE TEAM

One of the main roles of a manager is to motivate his staff to achieve the objectives of the department.  Various motivational models will be presented.  The various stages of the development of a team and how you can manage at each stage are also discussed.  The important secrets of how you can achieve team member self control as well as how to arrive at a team’s decision by consensus will also be disclosed.

MANAGING MEETINGS

Many people hate to attend meetings because they are boring and last unnecessarily long.  Yet meeting is an important management tool used to resolve problems in the company.  Here, you learn how to come out with a proper agenda, and how to conduct meetings effectively so that your staff will want to attend them because they help to resolve problems.

PROBLEM SOLVING AND DECISION MAKING

Problems are inevitable in our lives.  We encounter them daily in our work places.  How you resolve a problem depends on how you define it in the first place.  You will be taught a structured way of resolving problems, and the various techniques of decision making so that you can find new and creative ways of resolving a problem and help the company to improve its productivity.  You will also be challenged to reframe your mind and turn problems into opportunities and overcome adversities.

Methodology
  •         Presentation of concepts
  •         Self-analysis
  •         Group discussions and presentations
  •         Case studies & examples
  •         Practice on applications of the various tools and techniques taught



Trainer Profile


John Teo

All of our Associate Trainers offer our high level of service therefore are subject to regular peer assessments and interview prior to joining our Institute. They must all be qualified and have relevant experience to an agreed level and are subjected to continual audit and evaluation. Strict internal assessment is implemented as an integral part of our quality control mechanism.



Top