System (GIS) applications are in great demand nowadays due to many of their value-added services. To generate any recommended solution using GIS applications, there must be accurate data collected by the land surveyors. In addition, the development of many new challenging construction and civil engineering projects also requires a higher level of service from the land surveyors.
The part-time Diploma in Geo-Spatial Information and Technology offers graduates the integratead domain knowledge of various surveying techniques and GIS applications with the use of latest technology and equipment. Developed in collaboration with the Singapore Institute of Surveyors and Valuers (SISV), this diploma creates a unique opportunity for graduates to venture into different aspects of the surveying services. With this, graduates are able to begin or advance their career in the surveying and geospatial profession.
This programme has been structured to meet the following objectives:
(I) Enable graduates to comprehend the fundamental principles and knowledge in the following domains:
• Land surveying
• Engineering surveying
• Cadastral surveying
• Satellite-based surveying
• Underground surveying
• Hydrographic surveying
• Geographical Information System (GIS)
(II) Equip graduates with the domain relevant skills such as:
• Operating surveying equipment
• Collecting data
• Applying GIS / GPS software
• Setting out physical sites for engineering works
• Mapping the earth and the sea floor
• Establishing property boundaries
• Analysing data information about land, water and other natural resources for environment and resource management
• Evaluating data obtained to consult clients on optimal alternatives
(III) Equip graduates with necessary problem-solving and management skills such as:
• Effective communication across all levels in an organisation
• Creative and think-out-of-the-box problem-solving skills
• Contract administration and project management skills
(IV) Cultivate in the graduates positive attitudes such as:
• Being meticulous in data collection
• Ensuring integrity and accuracy in data handling
• Being open-minded in upgrading themselves and adopting new technology to enhance productivity
The candidate must be a Singapore Citizen or Permanent Resident or holder of a valid employment pass/work permit; and possesses any ONE of the following criteria:
3 GCE ‘O’ LEVEL results
a) English (Grade 1 – 7);
b) Mathematics (Grade 1 – 6); and
c) a relevant subject (Grade 1 – 6).
5 GCE ’N’ LEVEL results
a) English (Grade 1 – 8);
b) Mathematics (Grade 1 – 7);
c) 3 other subjects (Grade 1 – 8); and at least 1 year of relevant working experience.
ESS Workplace Literacy and Numeracy Level 5; and at least 1 year of relevant working experience.
HIGHER NITEC / ITC
NITEC / NTC and at least 1 year of relevant working experience.
Candidates whose GCE “O” or “N” level results fall below the criteria will have to sit for an English and/or Mathematics test. Candidates who possess equivalent qualifications but whose language of instruction was not English may also be required to take the test.
Candidates who have completed one or more surveying certificates issued by SISV will be offered exemption from certain courses within the diploma.